Saturday, July 3, 2010

I was asked today my position on transportation:

I think the quickest and most effective relief to our congestion in Atlanta at large and our often cut through Dunwoody is building a Southern by-pass extending I16 from Macon westward to I85 directly and a Northern Arc. These two bypasses will take more than 15% of traffic off our highways. These new roads can be funded by a toll.

I would however, vote to end the toll on 400 because a promise was made to the people of Georgia. I want to show that a tax can go away.

I think mass transit is needed in a City of Atlanta's size and density. But Marta needs to be funded by and serve the entire region. Part of the approved 1 cent sales tax should support mass transit. I don't feel that DeKalb should pay an additional 1 cent sales tax for roads without part of this money supporting Marta (DeKalb and Fulton already currently pay a 1 cent sales tax). And as in any government agency more transparency is needed.


I also think it would be wise to bring in a Mass transit expert and make our entire system more efficient and cost effective.

No comments:

Post a Comment